Dear Taco Salad,
How do we love thee? Let us count the ways;
- You’re filling AF.
- Your smoky/spicy taco meat is deliciously chewy and crunchy.
- The grilled peppers and onions make you unlike other taco salads. You’re multi-faceted.
- Your sauce is boss.
- Forget Taco Tuesday- I could eat you every day of the week.
Brandi & Kim
Oh, wow. Oh my god. That’s so embarrassing. We can’t believe we accidentally posted our very private love note to our favorite taco salad. Please, no judgement. Allow this amazing salad to speak for itself.
Recipe (serves 2-4)
- 5 cups market lettuce
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 7 oz. extra-firm tofu, pressed (about half a package)
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Handful cilantro
- 1 radish, sliced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbs. olive oil, divided
- 2 tbs. garlic sauce
- 1-2 tbs. adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers)
- Optional: lime wedges
Spicy Chipotle Aioli
- 1/4 cup Just Mayo
- 2 tbs. adobo sauce*
- Cut pepper and onion in long slices, fajita style. Sauté with 1 tbs. olive oil over medium high heat for about 7 minutes, allowing the veggies to get slightly charred. Season with s&p.
- While peppers and onions cook, dice mushrooms into small pieces.
- Remove peppers and onions from heat and wrap in foil, set aside.
- Using the same pan, reduce heat to medium and add diced mushrooms and 1 tbs. olive oil.
- Once the mushrooms are soft and have started to release their moisture, turn heat to medium-high and crumble pressed tofu into pan.
- Add garlic sauce and adobo sauce to the pan and season with s&p. Adjust amount of adobo sauce to your liking.
- Allow the tofu and mushroom mixture to brown until all of the moisture evaporates and a crust starts to form on the outside, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside. While the taco “meat” cools slightly, mix just mayo and adobo sauce in a small bowl.
- Add lettuce to a large bowl, top with peppers and onions, taco “meat”, tomato, avocado, radish, pomegranate seeds, cilantro and spicy chipotle aioli.
- Optional: squeeze a little lime and add some extra crunch with your favorite corn chips!